Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"It Shat all over my nose..."

I love that part of The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams. Poor Rowf is chasing after a dump truck that is leaking gravel only to trot back to Snitter, who is cowering at the sight of the "Lorry", and say, "It shat all over my nose-it must have been terrified - grr- owf!" Richard Adams, The Plague Dogs.

I'm not sure why I love that line. I think it is because it reminds me of life. Sometimes when you get going, chasing after something that you really want, life decides to crap all over you and your nose.

As you can tell, I am really enjoying my book. I did take a break from it to read, Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson, which I noticed in Zellers when I was buying Halloween costumes. I thought the title was funny and the back cover painted a clever and funny novel so I picked it up. I was not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised at the fun and funny story.

Now that I had a light read, it was back to The Plague Dogs and once again I am loving it.

Other than that, not much has happened since my last post. I am sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear back from the grant committee. It is horrible and I wait nervously each morning until the mail carrier drives up and deposits mail into my mail box. I can hardly contain myself as I rush out to the road, trying not to look too deranged to any passing cars, and open up the white mailbox only to find a bill or flyer for water softener salt. Yippee.

I think that my mailbox has it out for me and has decided to eat the letter from the OAC. I haven't fixed it since last week when it was brutally attacked two nights in a row. The first was by screaming teenagers wielding pumpkins and the second was probably the same screaming teenagers but the second time they were armed with construction pylons. The poor mailbox has been dented and listing ever since.

That brings me to attacking mailboxes. What the heck is fun about that? I know mine has a door on both ends that fly open when a pumpkin smashes into it but I really don't see any comedic value to a breaking mailbox. It just seems like such a waste of time and energy. Maybe it's because I am a woman but I have never ever attacked a mailbox or anything for that matter. I could enjoy myself other ways as a teenager, and it's probably better not to speak of those days.

So that is where I am. My poor mailbox is holding out on the proper mail and I think that if it could it really would "shat all over my nose."

No comments: