Saturday, October 20, 2007

Freedom!

We have all heard the shout, "Freedom!" and we know that it means something wonderful right. The freedom to choose, the freedom to vote, the freedom to retire, freedom, freedom, freedom.

There are tons of speeches that speak of freedom and countless books that talk of freedom and everything that makes it great. Usually freedom is looked at as a bonus, something wonderful to never let go of. Mel Gibson as William Wallace didn't cry for his life, nope, he yelled for his freedom and spent it rotting in a grave, after being tortured for several days and having his body put up for everyone to see and a few other things that I can't quite remember.

I reached a point of The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams that truly shows what an amazing book it is. It talks about freedom and how it really isn't a wonderful thing. It looks at how miserable freedom can be and also points out that we would not turn our backs on it even when it treats us poorly.

I love the book and I think that my husband believes that I am one step closer to lunacy when I accosted him on his way to work so that I could read this long description of Freedom.

Not only did it get my mind going but it made me realize that I need to join a book club just so I can talk about these wonderful things I glean from tightly bound pages. I really believe that everyone should read this book. Even if you don't end up loving it, and I will admit that some areas do require skimming, you'll at least appreciate some of the finer thoughts in the book.

No comments: