Monday, March 3, 2008

"Shake Hands with the Devil"

This last weekend I watched the movie, "Shake Hands with the Devil." I'm not sure but I think that it must be a theme for me. First I see the article about Anne Frank's "One true love" and then I am watching a movie about the genocide in Rwanda.

No, I'm not usually this fixated on the sadder aspects of life but I guess it is something that is not too far from my mind. I am aware of the plight of others but I can't relate to what others have been through. I mean how can I honestly say that I can empathize when I have lived a western life. Maybe I wasn't sheltered and I did see some of the negative aspects of humanity but I have never experienced anything even close to what those who have lived through genocide have seen.

I guess all I can really do is try to raise awareness and to try to help those that I can. I'm not this great superhero but I think that I can make some changes to the world, even if they are little changes.

Shake Hands with the Devil really got my mind working. I have read the book by Romeo Dallaire so I knew the story behind Rwanda and the time he served there. It was an excellent book and I spent a lot of time crying while I was reading it. I found the movie was just as strong and it stayed pretty close to the book. I strongly suggest that you read it or at least watch the movie.

All I can say is that things like Rwanda should not be allowed to happen. We need to make a stand, push our governments into acting and to help those in need. We need to educate ourselves about what is going on in the world and not try to hide from it.

I know, I know, two semi political posts in a row but I really wanted to share the way my thoughts are going right now. And I guess that is all I really have to say today.

No comments: