Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"R-r-r-r-oll Up the Rim" Again

Well, it's that time of year again. No not spring cleaning although that isn't too far away, and it's not Easter. Nope, it's that wonderful time of year that every Tim Horton's junkie...er...I mean...consumer waits for.

It's time to "roll up the rim!"

I should have realized that it was almost upon us when I joked about the silly coffee cup rim roller that a certain store was selling but I didn't. I just laughed with the cashier about the absurdity of paying 2.99 for something that has the same function as your teeth or thumbs. After that, I completely forgot about it.

Today though, I stopped by Tim's (as it is affectionately called) and ordered a medium regular for my husband. I longed to say the words, "and a large double double" but refrained from it. You see I am a big time Timmie's junkie. I know my vice and I have fought the addiction for years.

For those of you who drink Tim's, you'll know what I'm talking about when I describe how great it tasted every morning. Other coffee just can't compare. I remember when I lived in Cincinnati for a year, I would drive 30 minutes out of my way to go to the only Tim's near me. The coffee wasn't that great but it was Tim's so I had to have my fix. Sure I was able to calm the addiction a little and only go once or twice a month but it was very sad since there was a great bagel and coffee place only 5 minutes from me. Whenever I would go home to Canada, the first stop after the border was the Tim's. Didn't matter if we crossed in the morning, afternoon or two in the morning, we needed the Tim's.

Still, I ignored the fact that maybe I had a problem and just went on with my merry life.

Then a few years ago, I decided maybe I was drinking a little too much and maybe it was time to quit. This coincided with the beginning of February, which is my month of change. Don't ask me why that is but every February I cut my hair or dye my hair or quit a habit. Maybe it's because I need that change so I can make it through the rest of winter or maybe I am officially crazy. Whatever the reason, I always cut myself off from Tim's in February.

Even if I am doing a great job at avoiding my habit, I always get tricked into drinking Tim's when the "roll up the rim" event starts. I lie to myself and say, "Just one cup to see if I can win." One cup leads to two, which leads to three, which leads to me being hooked again until the following February.

This year I decided to give up Tim's again but it was for reasons besides change. It is after all the season of Lent and I gave up the one thing I didn't think I could live without. I have been doing very well, no Tim's, very few cravings and I can actually go to the drive through and order a coffee for DH without feeling the need to order for myself.

Now it's that horrible time again and those red coffee cups with their yellow "Roll" are beckoning to me but I am going to win this battle. I am doing this for myself and it will benefit my health, and my wallet (because let's face it 365 days of large double doubles at 1.37 per cup that is a whole lot of money). So the next few weeks of the roll event, I will be tempted more than once but hopefully I will get through it and be Timmie's free on the other side.

For those of you still enjoying Tim's, please "roll up the rim" for me.

No comments: