Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"I'm a genius!"

As said by that funny little sloth in Ice Age, Sid the Sloth. Yes I watch cartoons and I love them but besides that I am feeling great.

I was recently asked to do something that I had never done before in my writing career. It wasn't exactly hard work but it was a bit more technical then I am used to doing. I took the challenge because I thought it was interesting and I want to expand as a writer.

The first attempt was awful and I got this sinking feeling that much like my venture into children's writing, this may be a style that I am not capable of writing. Not trying to discourage myself, I gave the good ol' college try and submitted again. This time, they saw some things that they liked but just didn't think it was what they were looking for.

Yep, this is definitely going the way of the children's books. My ego was a little dashed and I found myself avoiding the work since I was so horrible about it. Still, deadlines reigned and I had to get back to work. I like to say that the light bulb finally came on but I think it was really the third times the charm type thing. I completely scraped what I had and reformatted it and completely rewrote it.

I am happy to say that outside of one minor change, they are very happy with it and my confidence sky rocketed. I think I'm at Venus by now. Top off that success with an email confirming publication in Southern Families Magazine for the November/December issue has made it a very good day indeed.

Now I am on my way to reward myself for a job well done and then tomorrow I am back into the grind and my confidence will be firmly in its place after its tour of the universe.

No comments: