Friday, November 9, 2007

A frequent conversation at home

Although every family has unique conversations that you won't hear anywhere else, I often find that being a writer offers a different flavour to those conversations.

A common conversation that takes place in our house is as follows and if anyone was listening they might be inclined to call the police or something.

Husband, "So, how many people did you kill this time?" (in your story, novel, etc, is left unsaid)

"Oh, come on, it's not that bad," I say, indignation dripping from my voice as I look away from him.

Silence. I shuffle the papers that contain my latest story, the white edges nipping into my fingers as I flex my hand, before I sigh in resignation. "Two," I mutter, "But there was a really good reason why they died. It's not like I did it on purpose and it was only two this time."

"Only two," a smile teases the words and his light brown eyes, "Well, I guess that's something."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now in my defense, I don't purposely start a story planning on killing a character off, at least not usually. Generally a series of plot twists will lead to the ultimate conclusion that some character really had one purpose and that was to be killed off (although some die peacefully).

On that note, I'm off to work. Today I am writing non-fiction for a client so rest assured that no imaginary character is going to bite the big one in any of the writing I do today.

Have a good weekend!

No comments: