Sunday, March 30, 2014

March 28: Walking for SMD

The walking trail took me along the river today and as I was walking, I was really thinking about how life is filled with hardships and with choices.  SMD has had numerous hardships and has survived both childhood abuse and neglect as well as abusive relationships.  Today, SMD is a survivor that is thriving.

One thing that really struck me is that one brush of violence leave ripples across an entire lifetime. One swipe can eat away at the heart and the mind and can cause us to make bad choices without us even realizing it.  We move forward, sometimes remember every detail of that violence and other times forgetting it, but the ripple is there, growing larger and larger like a pebble thrown into a river.

But this pebble isn't small, it is a large bolder that makes itself known and it becomes a cycle of abuse that is very hard to break.  The cycle can be broken, the ripples from that rock can be stilled, life can become beautiful and be filled with meaning.

SMD has dealt with that ripple and while I would love to go on about her story, there really is just a few lines that I would love for her to see. These are:

You are a strong woman who I am honored to know.  You care deeply for others, you are intelligent and you deserve happiness. Thank you for sharing your story with me and I am honored that you allowed me to walk with you.  I know that you have overcome so much to be the wonderful woman that you are today.

So these miles are for you SMD!


Mileage: 4.365
Total: 11.939

Due to a few commitments, I was not able to walk during Saturday and on Sunday, I didn't have as much time as I would have liked so I simply walked for survivors again.

If you would like me to walk for someone, please email me at sirena.van@sympatico.ca

My 1000 miles challenge was inspired by Angela Giles Klocke and her own 1000 miles journey.  You can find Angela's journey at Scars and Tiaras.  Please visit her site and her facebook page to learn more about how you can get involved in the 1000 miles challenge.

No comments: