Sunday, January 9, 2011

"Facebook Killed the Blogging Post"

If you noticed yesterday, my poor blog received its first post in a long time. And when I say long, I mean very long as in, months upon months of nothing being added to the blog. To make matters worse, the blog only received one post in 2010.

Wow, one post. I was prolific in procrastination to all new heights. It wasn't that I didn't have news, which I will share in a few days, but it was simply because of one horrible little networking site and that is...wait for it...

Facebook!

Yep, the silence was simply because I was writing my updates in 400 characters or less. When something witty, or at times not so witty...okay, maybe there was a whole lot of not so witty, I simply slipped the little blurb into my facebook status and TA DA!! I had updated the world on what was happening with me. Riveting!

It was fast, simple and while it didn't give me the space to write the prose that I wanted to, it did give me the time to screw the pooch (figuratively of course). I could focus on my "writing" (if by writing, I mean answering emails, writing for clients, getting a cup of coffee, working on my freelance jobs, walking the dog, writing for clients, doing the laundry, tapping the phone idly before pressing talk to make sure there was a dial tone) and still let people know a few of my little thoughts in the day.

Once I got into the habit of making one or two posts on facebook, it became difficult to sit down and type out a whole post. It wasn't that I didn't have an idea for a post running through my head, it was just that I had summarized it on facebook.

And if I summarized it on facebook, should I really bore people with an elongated version of that summary. Oh, to do or not do, to paint the sky in shades of gray while an elf merrily skips by. Obviously, I chose to summarize and the blog went by the wayside.

In fact, it went so far to the wayside, that I almost decided I should try again, start a new blog and see where it would take me. But, I just couldn't give up the ghost and I decided it was time to start blogging again, that I would resurrect this blog that facebook had long ago killed and hopefully, I will get a few readers to come along.

So facebook killed my blogging posts in 2010 but hopefully in this new decade, I'll keep my summarizing to my blog.

Do you find that you blog less or more now that you can update with facebook or twitter?

P.S. In case you didn't catch it, the title should be sung to the tune "Video killed the radio star" by The Buggles

No comments: